Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Anselm - on believing to understand

Anselm:

Grant to me that I may look upon your light, though from far off, though out of the deep. I will seek you, with longing after you. I will long after you in seeking you, I will find you by loving you, I will love you in finding you. I confess to you, O Lord, and I give thanks to you, because you have created in me this your image, that I may remember you, think upon you, love you: but so darkened is your image in me by the smoke of my sins that it cannot do that the way it was created to do, unless you renew it and create it again. I seek not, O Lord, to search out your depth, but I desire in some measure to understand your truth, which my heart believes and loves. Nor do I seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand. For this too I believe, that unless I first believe, I shall not understand.

continued

No comments: